The Localism Act and the National Planning Policy Framework anticipate an enhanced role for Parish and Town Councils. If they choose, they can embark upon Neighbourhood Plans, or if that is too ambitious, they can seek to influence emerging Local Plans in their areas.
However, there is often only minimal support available from the Local Planning Authority to enable Local Councils to engage in these opportunities and it can seem too difficult to even consider how to proceed. At the same time, many areas are experiencing unprecedented levels of new development coming forward and too often, Parish and Town Councils simply aren’t prepared to be able to negotiate acceptable outcomes on behalf of their communities.
SALC is working with Andrea Pellegram MRTPI from Devolve training to offer a series of training events in planning to help your Council have a greater impact on the shape of new development in your area. This training builds helps delegates understand how they can use available resources in their Council and communities to put together a strategy to make their towns and villages better places in the future.
The course will cover:
- What’s in a planning strategy
- What form planning policies should be in
- Who is the audience?
- What the strategy should contain and cover
- Twin tracking a community and neighbourhood plan
- Tactical considerations
- Behaviours and management
- Resources o Project planning
This training will help you:
- Assess your Council and community resources so that you can decide what the best kind of strategy will be for your area (a Neighbourhood Plan or something less onerous)
- Understand how to write your strategy so that it has the biggest impact on development management decisions
- Think about basic project management of the process to keep it on track and fit for purpose.
The training will be delivered by Andrea Pellegram MRTPI who has over 30 years’ experience in planning gained in the private and public sectors. There is ample free parking and all-day refreshments will be served.
This is what other delegates have said about this training:
Just wanted to say thank you on behalf of all of those that attended the training session yesterday. I have had nothing but fantastic feedback – so thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. You have inspired the committee to move things forward and use the opportunities to make a difference to our town and surrounding wards. Aylesbury Town Council
Price: £95 per delegate for the session on 02/02/17