Clerks, Finance Officers, Councillors on Finance Committees and Councillors who wish to develop their knowledge in this area. Essential for any Council contemplating major building projects.
This session explains how VAT affects Local Councils, with practical exercises to help develop your understanding. Topics include:
- How VAT law applies to Local Councils
- Where to find the law and guidance
- The difference between business and non-business activities
- Understanding whether sales are taxable or exempt from VAT
- When a Council must register for VAT
- When VAT can be reclaimed
- Partial exemption
- The VAT implications of building projects (including option to tax)
- Reclaiming VAT when using grants and donations
By the end of this session you will:
- Know where to find the relevant legislation and guidance
- Understand the key concepts of VAT
- Know when a Council can or can’t reclaim VAT
- Recognise when a Council must register for VAT
- Be aware of activities that require special attention
Session leader: Steve Parkinson, The Parkinson Partnership LLP
Steve is a former Town Clerk and an accountant with 30 years’ experience in public and voluntary sector finance. He now specialises in delivering training and advice on VAT and finance matters for the Local Council sector.
Lunch and refreshments will be included
£60pp for SALC members only - Only one booking per Council.