TOWN PLANNING FROM THE PARISH AND TOWN COUNCIL PERSPECTIVE
Your Parish or Town Council has the opportunity to comment upon all planning applications that fall within your area. To be effective, Members of your planning committee need to have a clear understanding how the planning system functions and how your Council can make the greatest impact upon development management decisions.
SALC is working with Andrea Pellegram MRTPI from Devolve training to offer a series of training events in planning to help your Council have a greater impact on the shape of new development in your area.
This training event is the first in a series of events that can help members of your planning committee understand their role and function, as well as how they must work beside other players in the planning game such as the local planning authority, statutory consultees and most importantly, applicants for planning permission. You may find these future, additonal events useful:
- 7 December 2016: Negotiating a Better Outcome in Planning
- 2 February 2017: You need a good strategy!
The session will take place over a full day and will provide delegates with a complete introduction to the planning system. The day will be broken up with practical exercises and opportunities to discuss various topics. In addition, supporting information will be provided to help you access information on planning after the event.
The basic topics that will be covered are:
- Planning basics - Development management, forward planning, enforcement, planning administration
- Different types of planning applications and what to look for when negotiating or making comments
- Overall timetable of development and when to become involved
This training will help you:
- Learn the basics about planning from the local council perspective.
- Help you understand what you can and cannot influence and the best way of securing changes to development proposals.
- Help you frame effective comments and representations on planning applications so that your Council’s views are referred to in the planning decision.
The training will be delivered by Andrea Pellegram MRTPI who has over 30 years’ experience in planning gained in the private and public sectors.
There is ample free parking and all-day refreshments will be served.
Price: £95 per person for the session on 13/10/16.