FULL – Transparency Code for Smaller Authorities – FULL
The session is now full. Please contact SALC for info on an additional date.
We once again have the pleasure of working with LGRC & their IT experts to provide training on the Transparency Code as it applies to smaller councils. The agenda for this half day session will include:
- Introductions of presenter and attendees
- Overview of the course and agenda
- Background to Transparency Code – legislation and government policy
- Why is transparency important?
- 7 steps to openness and accountability
- What’s in it for us?
2 The Transparency Code for Smaller Authorities
- Purpose of the Code and its application
- What constitutes a ‘Smaller Authority’
- Does not replace existing legal framework for access to and re-use of public sector info
- Compliance with Data Protection Act 1998 and Freedom of Information Act 2000
- Commercial confidentiality (p 9)
3 Information to be Published
- Annual Publication
- More Frequent Publication than Annually
4 Method of Publication (pp 31-32)
- Own website or that of Billing Authority
- Accuracy, amendment, and error correction
5 The Transparency Fund
- What is funding available for?
- Who can apply?
- How to apply
6 Websites – The Options
- Own website or that of Billing Authority – pros and cons
- Own website – development options and considerations
- Publication, maintenance and updating
- Sources of help and support
7 Practical IT Tips for Smaller Councils (optional section – time permitting)
- PCs and hardware
- Broadband, internet and connectivity
- Backups and security
- Applications software (MS Office etc)
- Efficient and appropriate use guidelines
To register, please complete and return by email a booking form to firstname.lastname@example.org